Montreal – The contenders in an annual contest to name Canada’s best new restaurants include eateries offering fire-stoked feasts in P.E.I., Spanish-inspired dishes in Halifax, and local seasonal and wild foods at a Toronto hot spot.
A panel of food and hospitality industry leaders have come up with a list of 35 restaurants for the enRoute magazine competition, which is open to eateries that opened between approximately June 2015 and June 2016.
A top 10 list will be revealed in November and Canadians can also vote for a people’s choice award at www.eatandvote.com.
The 2016 nominees are:
- St. John’s, Newfoundland and Labrador: Seto Kitchen + Bar
- Bay Fortune, P.E.I.: Fireworks
- Halifax: Highwayman
- Quebec City: Kraken Cru
- Montreal: Agrikol, Candide, Le Fantome, Foxy, Hoogan and Beaufort, Hvor, Le Mousso, Montreal Plaza
- Ottawa: Datsun, Fairouz
- Toronto: Alo, Antler, Chabrol, Commodore, Noorden, Piano Piano
- Kitchener, Ontario: The Berlin
- Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario: Backhouse
- Winnipeg: Maque
- Saskatoon: Little Grouse on the Prairie
- Calgary: Charbar, Whitehall
- Edmonton: Uccellino
- Vancouver: Ancora, Kissa Tanto, Mission, Osteria Savio Volpe, Royal Dinette, Torafuku
- Whistler, British Columbia: Bar Oso
- Victoria: Agrius
The Canadian Press